Sophia Design Week
- Title: Sophia Design Week
- Author: Assen Assenov
- Date: 26.05
- Tags: architecture, debate, design, expo
International festival for design and visual culture
Sofia Design Week is an international festival for design and visual culture. It takes place every June in Sofia. It features a professional forum with prominent speakers from all over the world, as well as an extensive program of open events aimed at the broader audience - exhibitions, workshops, discussions, talks, screenings, parties, book openings, events for children, etc.
Sofia Design Week strives to serve as a platform which stimulates and supports the development of design professionals in Bulgaria. At the same time the festival aims to present and promote sustainable and sensible practices for better and beneficial visual environment from around the world.
- Sofia Design Week's first edition took place in 2009. It is produced by the platform for cultural events Edno. Among Edno's other annual festivals are Sofia Architecture Week, Sofia Dance Week, Sofia Contemporary, Mellow Festival
- So far the list of speakers at Sofia Design Week includes: Konstantin Grcic, Matali Crasset, Michael Marriott, Mark Chalmers, Erik Kessels, Ji Lee, Marti Guixe
- In 2011 the festival gathered 70 speakers and participants of 13 different nationalities and attracted a crowd of 50,000 visitors to 60 venues. This third edition of Sofia Design Week won the Event of the Year Award at the Eventex Awards 2011.